St Luke's Art Workshops (1)
5 Myrtle Street
 
Picture taken on Saturday 10th September 2005, donated by Jonathan P. Neill
 
Decoration: Norbury, Upton & Paterson
 
 
This building was designed by Henry Summers and completed in 1880. It was the studio and offices of Norbury, Upton & Paterson, architectural carvers. The statue is assumed to be St. Luke by the carvers themselves. The griffin (also sp. gryphon) combines the lion and the eagle, the most powerful beasts on land and in air and is used to denote divine power. The combination of bull and eagle is more obscure.

Sources:
Pevsner Architectural Guides: Liverpool by Joseph Sharples,
The Oxford English Reference Dictionary & Wikipedia

Alan Maycock 2007

 

Sculptures & Installations | Home

View More Pictures:


(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

(5)

(6)

(7)

(8)

(9)

(10)