Near the south east corner of
Abercromby Square and its junction with Chatham Street is a hexagonal pillar
box of the 1866 design by John Penfold, cast by Cochrane, Grove & Company of
Dudley. A nationally uniform pillar box was first introduced in 1859, later
a more attractive design was sought and the Penfold was introduced in 1866.
It is hexagonal with acanthus decoration and is surmounted by an acorn. It
came in three sizes and would at first have been painted green. From 1874
onwards all post boxes, old & new, were painted red. More recently, from
1989 onwards, replicas of this design have sometimes been placed in
appropriate or historically sensitive sites but this is an original.
Alan Maycock © 2007
Buildings | Home